ReScattered

A space to reflect on my readings and musings, scattered and rescattered

5.08.2009

Bread...Yeasty




This is the bread I'm gonna try baking this weekend, recipe courtesy my friend Tara:

In a large storage container (tupperware, pyrex, etc) or bowl, mix together 1 1/2 TBSP of yeast, 1 1/2 TBSP of salt, and 3 cups of warm water. Add 6 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour. Mix until all of the flour is incorporated. Let this mixture rise for 2-5 hours.

This is enough dough to make 3-4 loaves of bread. At this point, you can make a loaf right away by taking out 1/3 or 1/4 of the dough, shaping it into a round disc, and putting it on a pan (I like to put olive oil & cracked pepper on top). Preheat the oven to 450, and (**most important part**) put a pan filled with 1 cup of water on the lower shelf of the oven. When the oven is preheated, put the bread on the upper shelf and bake for 30 minutes. The steam from the water below is what makes the bread rise and the crust get crispy.

The rest of the dough can be refrigerated for up to two weeks. When you'd like to bake another loaf, take out a piece, let it warm up for an hour, and then bake as above. That's it - so easy!


Seriously, I think I might actually bake this bread to honor the metaphor of having a "yeasty" dissertation. Thank you Ellen and elemveee for helping make that adjective stick... It's giving me flashbacks to my years as a Subway sandwich artist--I've lost track of the days I smelled of proofing footlong loaves of bread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home